Vol 3 Section 1098

1034                                                                        1904

Note: Their purpose was to resolve Hammond’s challenge to the new board elected Sept. 1 for the Plasmon Co. of America, but also to reassure Hammond that his interests would be protected. See Sept. 1 entry on the company.

Hammond responded the same day by telegram to Sam at the Hotel Wolcott:

I shall strongly oppose turning over Company to Ashcroft’s board of directors. He has been identified with the rotten administration of Cook and Wright, and is incompetent or worse. Unless Davis accepts management and my stipulation that Ashcroft should not be employed by the company, I shall retain Wheeler for the present. You have been imposed upon by Ashcroft and others regarding Wheeler. Am going to St. Louis to-morrow to be absent for ten days. On my return I will discuss matters further with you and others interested. Meanwhile will extend date payment my notes [493].

Notes: the crux of Ashcroft’s subsequent lawsuit against Hammond was that this telegram was libelous. The trial court ruled it privileged communication and dismissed Ashcroft’s complaint; the Appellate Division reversed that decision and ordered a new trial, from which Hammond appealed. The case was argued in the state Supreme Court on Jan. 27, 1910 and decided on Feb. 15, 1910. The Supreme Court agreed that the communication was privileged and that the order of the Appellate Division should be reversed; Ashcroft’s case was then dismissed [488-98].

Sam also wrote to Elias Cornelius Benedict (1834-1920), New York banker and yachtsman.

Your letter, just received, [not extant] is very pleasing, & confirms what I wrote my daughter after I saw you last. I told her then, to take her rest-cure in comfort & give herself no uneasiness about the house; that Mr. Renwick was not only keeping his promises but exceeding them, & that he had plenty of men in the house & was driving the work diligently.

I think of going away tomorrow with Mr. Rogers in the “Kanawha,” but shall be back at the hotel

Wolcott on Monday [MTP]. Note: due to a delay, then a postponement of the Fairhaven church dedication,

Sam did not return to New York until Thursday, Sept. 22.

Dr. Edward Skiddy Quintard (1867-1936) wrote from Norfolk, Conn. to Sam.

Your letter was received last night on my return from New York. The messages were given…incidentally, it did the doctor as much good as the patient. The cat has been procured, and as its manner is by no means unsensitive, I should judge that whatever political tendencies it held, inclined toward [illegible word]…We are doing very well here, but the more I see of Miss Clemens just the more conviction grows that it will be a goodly number of months before she regains her health and this applies particularly to her nervous system. She will however eventually be all right! My warmest regards… [MTP]. Note: Quintard was a noted medical practitioner, educator and the personal physician to several celebrities. For many years he was a professor of medicine at the New York Post-Graduate Medical School and Hospital. He became Sam’s doctor and was with him when he died on April 21, 1910. Quintard was related through his mother to President Zachary Taylor.

The New York Times , Sept. 10, p.24, announced Mark Twain’s new book A Dog’s Tale would be published on Sept. 15 by Harper & Brothers, with illustrations in color by W.T. Smedley (1858-1920), “and the binding will be such as to fit the volume for use as a holiday gift book.”

September 16 FridayWith Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Rogers, Sam left New York on the Kanawha for Fairhaven, Mass. to “help dedicate that church” (Unitarian Memorial Church), that Rogers built and dedicated to his mother. Sam would return on Sept. 22 [Oct. 23 to Crane; NY Times, Sept. 20, p.1 (below) ].

SLC used mourning border for most letters from Susy’s death on, then from Livy’s death on.