Vol 3 Section 0751

1902                                                                            693

Sorrentino reports that Sam attended a gathering at the Noonday Club [21].

Fatout has Sam giving a speech on art at the Arts Students Association, Museum of Fine Arts, St.

Louis. Fatout writes:

At the St. Louis art students’ luncheon for Mark Twain, Professor Halsey C. Ives, director of the Museum of Fine Arts, conferred upon the chief guest the degree of “Master Doctor of Arts.” Mark Twain enjoyed himself, although he was chagrined by a scheduling mixup that forced him to leve the luncheon party before the end [MT Speaking 443]. Note: Ives (1847-1911).

From 5 p.m. until about 11 Sam was entertained at the St. Louis Country Club [St. Louis Republic, June 9, p.3; Sorrentino 21]. Note: see Sorrentino for mention of several newspaper accounts not given here.

The St. Louis Republic, p. 1, ran “Mark Twain at Pilot Wheel; Bids Farewell to Mississippi” [MTCI 460-2].

St. Louis Globe-Democrat, p. 1 ran “The Eugene Field Memorial Tablet” [MTCI 463].

June 8 Sunday Clara Clemens’ 28th birthday.

Sam’s notebook: “Notify Big 4 I want a parlor to-day. / Train 18, Knickerbocker Special of the Big Four— at noon” [NB 45 TS 17]. Sam also included snippets of Hannibal-boyhood days: “Taking the pledge, Doughnut party…Very ill—Dr. Cunningham. Measles. Envious—want a big funeral—giving dying directions for it. Serenades. The piano & singing. On the barge, at night. Editing newspaper—pictures of Hinton” [ibid.]. Note: (Items listed down the page.) Josiah T. Hinton, the “suicidal” editor of the Hannibal Tri-Weekly Messenger pictured in Sam’s woodcuts—see Sept. 16, 1852 entry, Vol. I.

Sam left St. Louis at about noon, for the 30-hour train ride back to New York [June 10 to James R. Clemens].

The St. Louis Republic, June 9, p.3, reported on Sam’s last day in the city:


After two busy weeks in Missouri, Samuel L. Clemens, Mark Twain, departed yesterday [June 8] for his home at Riverdale, N.Y., probably bidding a final farewell to the State of his birth and the Mississippi Valley, wherein were spent so many years of his eventful life.

Despite his strength, unusual for a man 67 years old, he was much fatigued after his continued exertions. He returned to the home of Doctor James R. Clemens, No. 3956 Washington avenue, from the St. Louis Country Club, where he was entertained Saturday evening, about 11 o’clock at night. He spent the morning quietly yesterday and left the city at noon on the Big Four Knickerbocker Special.

He was escorted to the train by Doctor Clemens. At Union Station were many citizens who came to bid him good-by or to have the opportunity to shake hands with him. To all, stranger or acquaintance, he was genial and friendly, and at the parting gained additional admirers as he gained them wherever he visited after his arrival “back home”[MTCI 466-8].

June 9 MondaySam arrived home in Riverdale at 6 p.m. after a 30 hour trip from St. Louis [June 10 to James R. Clemens].

T. Shaw Hall, N.Y.C. paper dealer, wrote to Sam, recalling his “Golden Arm” story in Chickering Hall, which made a fat lady shoot “a foot and a half into the air” when he got to the punch-scare line. He enclosed a copy of an advertisement (booklet) and asked if Sam “possibly had some old jokes” he might offer for next year’s advertisement [MTP].

SLC used mourning border for most letters from Susy’s death on, then from Livy’s death on.